Camp for the Blind
Enchanted Hills has a long history as an outdoor destination for the blind. The Berkeley and Oakland Blind Boy Scouts held their annual summer camp here from the 1920s-1940s.
Rose Resnick established Enchanted Hills Camp for the Blind in 1950. Many of our campers return every year, some for half a century. Whether it’s exploring a trail in the woods or creating a skit as a team to perform in front of an audience, our annual camp provides a wealth of both structured and unstructured moments that contribute to the socialization, growth and development of blind campers. All proceeds from renting Enchanted Hills facilities for your event support our camp programs.
LightHouse for the Blind
Enchanted Hills Camp is part of LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired’s programs providing education, training, advocacy, and community for blind individuals in California and around the world. Founded in 1902, LightHouse for the Blind is headquartered in San Francisco with satellite offices in San Rafael, Berkeley and Eureka; Enchanted Hills Camp in Napa and a light manufacturing facility in San Leandro. Each day people who are blind become part of the LightHouse community, take steps to maximize their independence, and advocate for themselves and others.
In October 2017, the Wine Country Wildfires destroyed many of the oldest structures on our property. Since then, our intrepid staff have rebuilt some of our losses and we’re in process of building the camp back stronger and more beautiful than ever. We graciously thank you for your generosity and continued patronage while we work to restore and build upon the rich history of Enchanted Hills.
For many centuries, the Wappo Indians inhabited Mt. Veeder, subsisting off local game and plants. Native American history and language is reflected in local landmarks, including Lokoya Road and Lokoya Lake at Enchanted Hills (lokoya is the Wappo word for elk). Stone tools and implements like arrowheads are still found in the area and recent archaeological surveys have shown human habitation on Mt. Veeder going back at least 3,000 years.
Loggers were the first Europeans to settle the area. In the 1800s, a sea captain named Stalham Wing initiated a stagecoach trail up the eponymous Wing Canyon which, at its height, was wide enough to accommodate a four-horse stagecoach. Sections of the old route can still be traversed here at Enchanted Hills.
Wing is also credited with the birth of viniculture in the area, having grown and produced some of the region’s first mountain wines in the 1860s.
Shepherds also populated the higher elevation. One of the oldest buildings still standing on Mt. Veeder is an old shepherd’s shelter, which has been converted into a stone tasting room at the Mayacamas Vineyards.
At the end of the 19th century, the area became known as the Napa Redwoods, a popular destination for people from San Francisco and the surrounding areas of Northern California. They traveled by train, ferry and stagecoach to the predecessor of Enchanted Hills, Johannesburg Resort, which was situated on the site where Enchanted Hills resides today.